3 Large Beets
3 Cups Jasmine Rice
1 sprig of rosemary
1 TBS Chile Pepper
1 TSP Cayenne
1 TBS Curry Powder
1/2 Cup Frozen or fresh peas
1. Peel and cut beets into 1 inch quarters. Place in a large pot with a vegetable steamer.
2. Cut the lemon in half. Squeeze one half over the beets, and slice the other half into 5-6 moon shaped slices. Place the sliced lemon on top of the beets. Add the sprig of rosemary. Steam on high for 45-50 minutes.
3. Mean while, prep the rice in a rice cooker, or on the stove.
4. Once the rice is complete, add 1-2 TBS of cooking oil to a large frying pan at medium heat.
5. Add the rice to the heated oil. Add the curry, chile pepper, and cayenne. Add the peas after you have mixed the spices into the rice. Cook over medium heat, turning frequently. The rice turns out the best when it is allowed to crisp a bit in the oil.
6. Once the beets are cooked through, remove the lemon slices and rosemary and mix the beets into the rice.
7. Cook for another 10 minutes. Add salt to taste. Can be served immediately or served cold as a salad. Great for lunch at work!
6 years ago